Before heading back to South Bend tomorrow, I spent a quick afternoon in Manhattan yesterday, enjoying the sights and meeting Bill Palmer for a lunchtime chat.
I first went to see the tree at Rockefeller Center . . . which was lovely, except for the fact that since the "green"-wackos made them change to LED lights, it's not nearly as bright and impressive.

Then I made my regular visit to St. Patrick's Cathedral, spending some time in the beautiful Lady Chapel, and praying at the tomb of the Archbishops of New York.
I also found, for the first time, a relatively new apsidal chapel, dedicated to the saints of Poland and to Our Lady of Czestochowa. There is a gorgeous replica of the Black Madonna icon on the main altar, and then four icons on the walls of the chapel depicting, among others, St. Maximilian Mary Kolbe:
Since he is a favorite saint of mine, I was glad to see this icon - and only wished that the gift shops at Catholic shrines and cathedrals would sell high quality reproductions of such religious art rather than the plastic junk they peddle.
Though it was cold, it was a nice little trip into the city and I was especially glad to spend some time with Bill and to pray in "America's parish church."


No comments:
Post a Comment