Back in the day, yours truly cheered our men on as we won two of the first three championships at this tournament - and then I played on Moreau's third championship team!:

Unfortunately, Holy Cross hasn't had as much luck since Fr. Bill Miscamble handed the reigns over to Fr. Pat Neary. We haven't won the tournament since! - and we tease him about this pretty mercilessly. But, of course, the tournament is about much more than competition. It really is a wonderful chance for seminarians throughout the Midwest to get together for fellowship and fun.
And we had one heck of a cheering section . . .
Mundelein Seminary is also a beautiful location to spend a weekend. The seminary campus was constructed in 1921 by Cardinal Mundelein - and its neo-classical architecture is meant to indicate the compatibility of Catholicism and the American experiment.

I was also very glad to have the opportunity to spend time with Fr. Bob Barron, who teaches on the faculty of Mundelein Seminary. Fr. Bob spent a sabbatical year living with us at Moreau Seminary when I was a newly professed religious. A number of us seminarians developed a fast friendship with Bob and remain grateful for the influence he had on us as we prepared for ordination. We've stayed in touch through the years, but this was the first time we've been able to see one another in awhile.
Fr. Barron not only teaches and writes, he also has a thriving and effective ministry of evangelization through digital media. His radio show, podcasts, webpage, YouTube videos, and now his Catholicism Project are phenomenal gifts to the Church in this country. I encourage you to use these resources, as I do, and to assist Fr. Barron with your prayers and financial support.


No comments:
Post a Comment