Friday, April 15, 2011

Research Road-Trip

When you're a graduate student-priest your definition of a fun outing gets a bit warped. I was happy to get out of my room, away from campus, and out of my usual routine for a day, to research in the Archives at St. Mary's Seminary and University in Baltimore.

St. Mary's is the nation's oldest Catholic seminary, and home to the archives for the Sulpician order in the United States. Since the priest I am currently doing research on was a Sulpician Father, I was able to make use of some of their material. (Though the majority of his papers can be found at . . . the University of Notre Dame!)

It's difficult to tell from this picture, but the seminary continues at some length to the left and right of the picture . . . making the front facade seem a bit like Versailles. It's an impressive place - I only wish I had more time to explore and to meet some of the men studying there.

4 comments:

Christopher Cox said...

Thanks, Stephen, for posting the photo. I do love this place. The chapel is particularly prayerful. Not too shabby to kneel where Pope John Paul II also knelt, for that matter. Blessings to you.

Fr. Stephen M. Koeth, C.S.C. said...

Thanks Chris - Yes, where JPII knelt to pray. . . an angle I should have mentioned given his upcoming beatification! Blessed Holy Week!

Fr. Greg, CSC said...

Fr. Stephen, there's only one Versailles other than the one outside of Paris, and it ain't St. Mary's Seminary ;-)

Fr. Stephen M. Koeth, C.S.C. said...

Indeed, Fr. Gregory, indeed. Let's just pray the ancien regime meets the guillotine sooner rather than later! ;)