Then, there are apparently a number of novels that have achieved this goal, but I am not very familiar with the modern American novel. Pete Hamill's "Forever" is the only explicitly post-9/11 novel I have read, and I think it does address the existential issues in an interesting and compelling manner.
I am most familiar, however, with the musical responses to the day. In my homily I mentioned one attempt by Alan Jackson, his song "Where Were You." I've always thought his lyrics displayed an amazing ability to name, without judging or over-explaining, the tremendously varied emotional responses to that day.
Bruce Springsteen's album, "The Rising," especially the singles, "The Rising," "Empty Sky," and "My City of Ruins" have always been my gold-standard for evaluating artistic responses to September 11th. Springsteen's roots in the New York-New Jersey area, his working class sensibilities, and his theology deeply rooted in Catholic themes of sacramentality and redemption, combine with his singular musical and storytelling abilities to produce a truly amazing album.
But somehow, another fantastic musical response and tribute to the heroes of September 11th alluded my attention until this year: "Grand Central Station" by Mary Chapin Carpenter. The haunting melody is combined with lyrics that tell the story of a construction worker, helping dig out the pile in the days and weeks after September 11th. The lyrics are his meditation on feeling the presence of all the missing, and sensing their spirits' desire for him to lead them to Grand Central Station for one last journey home. It is a truly remarkable song.
One line in particular stands out: "I guess you're never really all alone, or too far from the pull of home." That's been the theme of my prayer and reflection this day ... for myself and for all my loved ones and fellow New Yorkers: that we never forgot that we're not alone, and home is always closer than we realize ... and for all those who were lost: that they find their way home and await us there.
UPDATE - Of the many touching and inspiring stories from that day, this one had alluded me until now. I was amazed that the marine evacuation of Lower Manhattan on September 11th was the largest in history, larger even than the British evacuation of Dunkirk. Another great story of everyday heroes.
1 comment:
That's an amazing video!
Post a Comment