For those of you who didn't already know, I am in Nome, Alaska for Holy Week.
Since Holy Redeemer's Triduum liturgies are always celebrated by the pastor, in part because they are bi-lingual, I was free to offer my services to a mission diocese that would not otherwise be able to staff all of their parishes for Holy Week. I first offered myself to the Archdiocese of Anchorage, but when they didn't need me, they forwarded my name to the Diocese of Fairbanks. They asked if I would serve St. Joseph's Parish, a priest-less parish in Nome, Alaska.


This past Thursday I flew from Portland to Anchorage and spent a night there with Nick Pustina, a friend who used to teach at Holy Redeemer and now lives in Anchorage. On Friday, I completed the journey to Nome.
Above you can see the exterior and interior views of the Church. On Saturday I spent the day prepping for the Palm Sunday Masses and hearing confessions in the afternoon. I celebrated a small vigil Mass on Saturday evening and then the main Mass on Sunday morning.
I've got lots of other great photos and stories, but Blogger is taking forever to load, perhaps because of a slow connection. So I'll collect my pictures and tales and post them as I can. In the meanwhile, a blessed Holy Week to you all.
5 comments:
A blessed Holy Week to you, Stephen! ... You always said you had too fragile of a constitution for mission work, but I think this is a great testament to your readiness!! ;)
The people of Nome are lucky to have ya! -Nate
So glad your travels went smoothly. I read that Mt. Redoubt is acting up again--that should add a bit of excitement to your stay!
X O X
Can you field dress a moose yet ;-)
-Doug B
More importantly, has a moose field dressed you yet, Stephen?
Post a Comment