Tuesday, September 28, 2010

All Work and No Play . . .

 . . . well, you know the rest. But in reality, it hasn't quite been all work and no play for me. I have definitely been hitting the books and working hard, but I've also had a few opportunities for fun to tell you about.

I'll start where I myself started not long after my arrival in DC: with food! Before classes had even started, I made sure that I had scouted out some local spots for a few of the foods I most often crave. Thanks to an episode of Anthony Bourdain my first craving was for Middle Eastern food. Without recourse to Alladin's, one of my all-time favorite spots in Portland, I searched out Amsterdam Falafel Shop which I had read was the place to go here in DC. I must say I was very well pleased with the falafel itself, even if the setting was disappointing. I'll still need to find a place for chicken shawarma.

Of course I never go more than a few days without having a hankering for pizza, and one of the best-reviewed places in the area is Pete's New Haven Style Apizza.  Even after visiting I'm not sure I can tell you what makes the pizza New Haven style, but it was very good: a thin, hand-tossed crust with a nice crisp to the outside and a soft, slightly moist interior.  They have two locations and one is pretty close, has decent parking nearby and sells by the slice. Score!

I've also put the books down long enough to enjoy a few social outings as well. I attended the Notre Dame Club of Washington D.C.'s game-watch for the Notre Dame at Michigan State game, which was held at a local sports-bar.  Fr. Peter Rocca, csc was visiting from campus, and Prof. Duncan Stroik was in town with a group of his architecture students. It was wonderful to catch up with these friends and to see so many young alums at the gathering. Of course the game's ending isn't to be spoken of.

This weekend, I had the chance to attend my first Washington Nationals game, in which the hometown heroes defeated the despised Atlanta Braves.


I was lucky enough to enjoy spectacular seats and delightful company . . .



. . . and the rain even held off so we could enjoy the afternoon in the late summer sun.

This afternoon, between classes, I spent some time praying in the Basilica of the National Shrine where relics of St. John Bosco were being venerated. It was very moving to see so many pilgrims making their way past the great saint's relics. As John Bosco is a patron of young people, I prayed in a special way for the healing of those young people who suffered at the hands of priests and religious - and for all of the wonderful young people I have had the chance to serve at Holy Redeemer Parish and now here at Little Flower Parish as well. May God bless them all!

1 comment:

Lals said...

DC?! Whoa, did I miss something? Are you back in grad school? Clearly, this is what happens when I slack on blog reading. :) In any case, if you're in DC and back in school, did you go to the all Seminarian Soccer tournament last weekend?