Tuesday, March 24, 2009

St. Patrick's Day . . . Part Two: I Love LA


This picture is apparently of the St. Patrick's Day parade in Los Angeles. I didn't attend, so I can't be sure . . . but I was in LA for the great feast, and this was the best picture I had, since I didn't bring my camera to the event I attended . . .

Pat McDonald, a dear friend from my time in Siegfried Hall at Notre Dame, is a life-long resident of LA and his family has long been involved in the Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick. Each year, the society holds a black-tie banquet on the feast of their patron, and it is a major event on the Catholic calendar of the region.

Over the past several years, Pat has been trying to get me to join him, his dad and brothers for one of these banquets. This year I was finally able to make it work! I flew down to LAX after saying the feast day Mass here at Holy Redeemer, Pat collected me at the airport and we had time for lunch before we needed to be ready for the main event.

Looking mighty fine, if I do say so myself, Pat and I met up with his family at his parish church and headed off to the Beverly Hills Hilton.  During the cocktail hour I was able to chat with several of Pat's family members, and with a couple of priests from the Archdiocese of Los Angeles - including Fr. Leon Hutton, a professor at St. John's Seminary who had spent a sabbatical year living with us at Moreau Seminary while I was in formation.

During the dinner, which was a lovely four course meal, we were entertained with Irish singing . . . including, of course "Danny Boy." Apparently each year one of the FBI (Foreign Born Irish) Monsignors sings this Irish classic - so Pat's brother Chris gets a pool going to guess the time he'll take the mic and croon. It brought a great deal of levity and laughter to the evening . . . and I only lost by 1 minute!!

The evening is usually headlined by a big-name speaker. Several Notre Dame figures have addressed the group in the past. This year, John Wayne's son was the speaker - but he didn't say much. Instead he showed a video; a twenty minute clip of his father's "Stagecoach" which he dubbed ala Mystery Science Theater. Lots of fart and sex jokes. It was so-so. 

After the dinner we headed to the Irish Times for a few pints. Still in our finery, we drew quite a bit of attention to ourselves. Everyone wanted to know where we were coming from, and several people asked me if I was in fact a priest. 

The next morning Pat and I had just enough time for breakfast and a nice walk along the beach before I needed to be back at LAX for my flight back to Portland. I'm not sure that I could live there year round, but I have to admit that I could easily have stayed for a few more days of 80 and sunny in March! 

My photo of Manhattan Beach, CA just a block or two from Pat's apartment

Many thanks to Pat and the McDonald men for a lovely evening among the Friendly Sons!

No comments: