Feeling much better after a good night of air-conditioned sleep, we wrapped up our short visit to St. Louis with a pilgrimage to the great Basilica Cathedral of St. Louis. Along the way, we drove through the campus of St. Louis University and passed their campus church of St. Francis Xavier.
Further down the road, we arrived at the Basilica Cathedral. I have been longing to visit this church for quite some time because everyone speaks of its beauty in the greatest of superlatives - and I am a great fan of the Byzantine style with its sparkling mosaic decorations.

My pictures simply do not do the building justice. The amazing Byzantine mosaics make this church one of the most beautiful I have ever seen in the United States. Take a look at their website to get a better sense of the place, or even better, make a visit in person. For now, this one picture does a decent job of showing you the baptismal font and ambry:
We stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrel and 'set for a spell' on their front porch . . .
and then continued the journey across the Mighty Mississippi, through Illinois and into the great state of Indiana.

We're spending the evening in St. Meinrad's, Indiana where Ken attended the college seminary at St. Meinrad's Archabbey. I have also spent time here on retreat. More pictures and stories on that tomorrow . . . after we finish our travels to South Bend!
1 comment:
Hey, Stephen! Tim and I are really enjoying your travel blog. Did you realize that the beginning of Tim's e-mail address is RUNZA? How wild is that?! Can't wait to see you; soon, I know.
X O X
Ginny
Post a Comment