Friday, July 3, 2009

Departure: Bend to South Bend in Seven Days (Day 1)

Proving that all good things must come to an end, yesterday I departed Portland and Holy Redeemer Parish to begin my trek back to Notre Dame. Softening the blow of leaving is the fact that I'm not traveling alone. Joining me for this adventure are dear friends Ken and Julie Hallenius and Brenda Greiner.

Ken and I packed up a few last minute items and headed east in the truck just after lunchtime.


We had an uneventful and beautiful drive over Mt. Hood and into the eastern half of Oregon. Our first stop on the trip was Bend, Oregon, a town many people had spoken highly of to me, but that I had never visited. Bend is indeed very lovely - and perhaps best of all, contains a few lovely brew-pubs, including the Deschutes Brewery and Old St. Francis School:



They both proved to be lovely places for me to drown my sorrows while Ken and I awaited the arrival of Julie and Brenda, who followed after us from Portland after they finished their work day. Now together in Bend, we'll do some touring this morning and then continue on to Boise, Idaho.

We are indeed taking the scenic route during this trip - Bend itself is slightly out of the way . . . and at the end of the trip we're really stretching it to see a couple of very important sights (more on that later).

No comments: