Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Deer Porte

I received more than one inquiry into my whereabouts since the blog has been silent for a few weeks. Alas, after a summer of fun I have been hard at work over the past two weeks welcoming the seminarians of Old College back from their summer vacations, orienting the freshmen seminarians, and attending the start of the year retreat for all men in formation: Deer Porte.

As I may have mentioned previously this retreat's name derives from the previous location for the seminarian camp (Deer Park, Maryland) and the current location (La Porte, Indiana).

Camp is an opportunity for prayer, reflection, and relaxation at the start of the school year. Especially for the new men, it's a chance to get to know their brothers in formation in a relaxed setting before the craziness of the academic year overwhelms them.

I attended this retreat throughout my time in formation - three years in Maryland and then three in Indiana after a new location was selected. I never imagined that I would be returning so soon as a member of a formation staff - but that's exactly what's happened!

Now I want to remind you that since I am on staff, this retreat was work for me. Work, I say.

There are plenty of games, including chipping contests into the pool . . .


. . . oh, and plenty of just lounging around in the pool . . .


. . . and a casino night with lots of great prizes.


. . . but there are also conferences, including a panel on brotherhood in religious life by Frs. Steve Lacroix, CSC, Greg Haake, CSC and Jim Connolley, CSC . . .


. . . and of course there's lots of prayer as well, but I don't take pictures during prayer.

It was a great opportunity to spend quality time with the men of Old College and get to know them a bit as I prepare to live and work with them this year. We're obviously back on campus now, and classes have begun - so now the regular routine begins, and the work of GRE prep and applications begins in earnest.

Please pray for me, the men of Old College and all our men in formation as we work in the apostolate of studies. And here they are, the men of Old College:

No comments: