Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fall Update

Since I was up early to preside and preach at the Basilica's 8 am morning Mass, I decided to use the extra time to write a long-overdue post about the last several weeks' activities. I've heard from several people who've noticed the relative quiet on the blog and I thought it was time to correct (and explain) that.

After returning from a little vacation in Portland, I hit the ground running preparing for yet another trip - this time a drive to the East Coast to visit prospective gradate schools over Notre Dame's Fall Break week. My first stop was the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia . . .


the city of brotherly love. Indeed I had a lovely visit there, meeting with a professor in the history department and getting a feel for the campus (and having a cheesesteak at the world famous Geno's!)

Unfortunately, a cough I had developed during my travels to the West Coast worsened while I was attempting to visit Princeton University. I only got to see the University Medical Center, where I was diagnosed with bronchitis, potentially brought on by a minor bout of pork (I'm sorry, swine) flu. When my fever broke, and I had some antibiotics in me, I made the drive back to South Bend.

All that week, as most of the students were away, South Bend had lovely Fall weather. So typical that it happens when the students are away! The leaves all seemed to change at once and the campus was just beautiful.




But it was also typical that once the students returned, and everyone was gearing up for the Boston College game, it rained like cats and dogs. Mom and Dad were on campus for the game, but I was still a bit too sick to attend the game. They were lucky enough to see a win and to stay dry during the game. Though I wish I had been healthier, we enjoyed the rest of their visit taking it easy and relaxing together.

This past weekend I enjoyed a visit from Kevin and Jeanette Haley for the Navy game. Though it was a quick visit, it was great to see them, and we were treated to some delightful weather during their stay. As for the game, I'll simply refer you to something I posted about our coach earlier this season.


In the meanwhile, I have been very, very busy with my applications for grad school - which is the main reason I haven't posted much on the blog. Amid my normal reading for class, my priestly obligations on campus, and my responsibilities in Old College, there's been a real uptick in the amount of time I'm giving over to my personal statement and writing sample for applications. There's about a month left before they're all due, and about three months until I hear back from these programs - so your continued prayers are much appreciated.

Fr. John Pearson, CSC tells me that I post a lot about food (I refer you to one of my earliest posts) and I wouldn't want to disappoint him . . .


so I'll share this picture of our Sunday evening community meal at Old College. Every Sunday the men take turns cooking for the house and we share a family supper. It's a bit crowded with twenty-three of us there, but that just makes it feel a little like Thanksgiving every week! We've had some really lovely meals and fun conversations - and it's just one of the many things I've enjoyed living and working here at Old College.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear from you Stephen! I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Ginny

Fr. Michael Wurtz, CSC said...

Stephen, thanks for all the work you do!!!