Friday, July 2, 2010

Stars and Stripes Forever

On Thursday I traveled back into Manhattan to join Tim Thompson for a performance of the New York Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center.


We met at P.J. Clarke's for dinner and then went across the street to Lincoln Center. The heat and humidity has abated here in the city, at least for now, and it was a beautiful summer night out on the plaza.

The Philharmonic, under the direction of Bramwell Tovey, was joined by the United States Military Academy Band, under the direction of Lt. Col. Timothy J. Holtan. The combined Summertime Classics concert was entitled "Strike Up the Band," and as you might imagine it proved to be a rousing kick-off for the patriotic holiday weekend.

The set-list included: "Memories of America," "An American in Paris," "Hail to the Spirit of Liberty," "Symphony No. 4, West Point," "The National Game," "Armed Forces Medley," and the world premier of "L'Espirit du Tour: A Fanfare for Lance." The finale was, of course, "Stars and Stripes Forever." As the crowd stood and clapped along with Sousa's classic, I couldn't help but compare it to the singing of "God Save the Queen" or "Rule Britannia" on the Last Night of the Proms. I hereby make it a life-goal to attend one of those concerts in person!

A fantastic evening was topped off by the gorgeous summer breeze and phenomenal view of the night skyline from aboard the Staten Island Ferry John F. Kennedy. I love New York!

No comments: