Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Canonization Weekend at Notre Dame

Before my alma mater publicized its plan to cancel its football program by losing back-to-back games to Navy (again) and Tulsa (yes, Tulsa), I spent the Western Michigan (yes, Western Michigan) football weekend on campus. 

The game was fine - we even won! - but I was much happier to be on campus to enjoy the lovely fall weather and foliage . . .


. . . as well as the festivities for the canonization of St. Andre Bessette of Montreal (which included the Notre Dame Band forming the Cross and Anchors at halftime, and the Basilica being adorned with special canonization banners) . . .



. . . and most importantly, the opportunity to see so many friends and confreres. I was able to enjoy dinner with Fr. Michael Wurtz, csc before he returned to Rome for the start of his school year, and my classmates Frs. James Gallagher, csc and Pete McCormick, csc before they left for Rome for the canonization. 

I was also able to spend some nice time catching up with Fr. Drew Gawrych, csc and a number of the fine men of Old College whom I had the privilege to live and work with last year. Thanks be to God all these brothers and friends seem to be thriving! Though it was a quick trip, and I left campus tired from burning the candle at both ends, I was very glad to have visited the Dome.

UPDATE: The tragic death of Notre Dame student Declan Sullivan came only after my trip to Notre Dame, as the team was preparing for the Tulsa game. I didn't have the privilege of knowing Declan, but this story about the campus' response to his death is a beautiful read. We are blessed with wonderful students!

No comments: