Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving in NY: The Macy's Balloons

Living on the East Coast certainly has many benefits. One of them is that I'm closer to home than at any point since I left home for my freshman year at Notre Dame. That means that this past week I was just a three and a half hour drive away from home for the holiday. Indeed this was the first Thanksgiving in ten years that I was on Staten Island for the feast!

On Wednesday evening, Mom, Dad and I went into the city to see the balloons inflated for the bog Macy's parade the next morning. It was just a little cold, but otherwise a lovely evening and the crowds were out and in a celebratory mood.


We enjoyed listening to the families with young children as they correctly named balloon characters we would never have been able to guess ourselves. But there were plenty of the old classics you'll recognize below.

This one 'new' character is here in the post especially for Simon, Lucy, and Oscar, who are big fans:


These are more my speed, or I guess I should say, age!





Although I'd been to the parade itself as a kid, I had never been to the balloon inflation before. It was a great New York tradition to share in.

No comments: