Thursday, November 4, 2010

Leaf Peeping Along the Skyline Drive of Shenandoah

After returning from the Midwest, I was anxious to enjoy some of the fall colors here in the Mid-Atlantic, and thankfully, things here were a few weeks behind northern Indiana. Indeed, even now there are still plenty of nice leaves to be seen around the District - but before it was too far past peak, I wanted to take a drive south, to the upper elevations of Shenandoah National Park, and take a drive along the famed Skyline Drive.


I'll confess that in many spots there was more green than I had expected, but there were also some spectacular stretches of bright colors - and the pictures here don't do them justice, in part because they came in stretches where I couldn't stop the car to take a picture!


I picked a perfect day for my trip - cool, clear and sunny - and I very much enjoyed the whole one hundred mile drive.



And I want to note that I took none of these pictures while driving - I was fully stopped or parked for everyone's safety!

1 comment:

Barbara koeth said...

Wow this brought back memories!

I did a fabulous bike ride from Waynesboro to Front Royal -- could it be 30 years ago!?!

xo Barbara