Even if the Church didn't observe his feast because it fell on Holy Family Sunday, I think I shall refer to the blizzard of December 2010 as the St. Stephen's Day Blizzard.
On Christmas Eve, Mom, Dad and I watched the eleven o'clock news and the forecast called for absolutely no snow in New York City. The storm which brought the Southeastern United States its first White Christmas in decades (or in some cases ever!) was going to be too far out to sea to hit us. Eastern Long Island and New England would be the only areas effected.
But by the time our Christmas dinner guests arrived at midday on the 25th, the forecast had changed completely. All of the necessary variables had aligned and the storm was now headed right up the coast.
On the 26th, I presided at the 10 a.m. and Noon Masses at Our Lady of Lourdes and Our Lady Queen of Peace, and the snow was already flying as I greeted the congregation after the 10 a.m. Mass. It kept snowing throughout the afternoon, and the true blizzard conditions arrived at about 8 p.m.
Throughout the night the snow and wind kept coming, and when we woke Monday morning there was approximately 30 inches of snow on Staten Island. In Manhattan, the 20 inches in Central Park made it the 6th largest snowfall in NYC recorded history. Apparently the snow was even worse on Staten Island and some nearby parts of coastal New Jersey: further inland, in New Jersey and upstate New York, the accumulations were not as severe.
What most makes this storm stand out, however, is the wind and the amazing drifting that it's caused. All of us have said that we've never seen snow drifts like this on Staten Island.
This storm won't affect any of my travels to or from Washington, D.C. so I'm just enjoying the snow - but obviously many others are dealing with cancellations and closures. I wish them all good luck and safety!

No comments:
Post a Comment