Monday, March 21, 2011

Back in the Saddle after Break

It was nice to have a homily to post this weekend after several weeks of not preaching due to several weeks of Cardinal's Appeal here in the Archdiocese, and my own spring break travels . . .

Two weeks ago, at the beginning of spring break, I drove home to Staten Island with Brendan, Andrea, and their friend Scott, so that we could attend the Staten Island St. Patrick's Day parade. I hadn't been to the parade in years, and it was great to be back. Despite some rain early - and later - in the day, we did pretty well during the parade itself.

I always enjoy the bagpipe bands the most . . .


and it was nice to see my alma mater's marching band still looking and sounding so good:


After the parade, the highlight of the day was seeing so many family members at the post-parade party. It was great to be able to catch up in a relaxed and festive atmosphere. 

On Monday we returned to D.C., but after just twenty four hours I flew from Dulles to Colorado Springs where I spent the rest of the week at the Holy Cross Novitiate in Marigreen Pines.


I was invited by our novice-master Fr. Kevin Russeau, csc to give a series of conferences on the history of religious life, from its beginnings in the Apostolic era, through medieval monasticism, the mendicant reformers, the apostolic orders until today. I certainly learned a great deal myself as I was researching and organizing my presentation, and I look forward to returning next year to hone my presentations with next year's class!

It was great to be among the Holy Cross novices - they're a great group, including several alums of Old College whom I've had the pleasure of knowing since their freshman year - and we were joined by a group of Dominican novices from Denver who share monthly workshops or outings with our gang. 

But it was especially nice to be able to spend time with Fr. Kevin with whom I had the pleasure of working last year at Old College. I was very grateful for the chance to share prayer, faith, and fun with a great friend. We took several hikes during my stay, including one at the famous Garden of the Gods . . .


and we also spent an afternoon touring the United States Air Force Academy. I had visited once before, but I was happy to return to see the renowned Academy Chapel . . . 


While we were there we also had the pleasure of witnessing a rite of passage for the first year cadets, who marched out of the hills, organized into their platoons, as we were enjoying the views of the quad from the chapel plaza . . . 



The first year cadets marched onto the quad above, where the upper class members of their platoons had gathered in ranks. Although we weren't entirely sure what the ceremony involved, we learned later that the general point was that these first years were now officially considered cadets, would be moving on to the second year, and could for the first time be spoken to and referred to by their first names. The whole experience was fascinating and rekindled my long standing interest in military chaplaincy.

I returned to Washington after a busy week of spring break, and hit the ground running. With four classes this semester I have plenty of work to do before the end the semester. Between now and the end of April, I'll be ensconced here at the parish, and in the archives and library!

No comments: