Monday, March 7, 2011

More DC Visitors

Over the last several weeks, amidst plenty of school work, I have also had the pleasure of welcoming more family and friends to Washington, D.C. 

First up, my classmate Fr. Greg made a quick visit from Stanford University. This was Greg's first visit of any length to our nation's capital. Among other sites we toured the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, and the rest of the CUA campus - including O'Boyle Hall, which once upon a time was Holy Cross College, the seminary for the Congregation of Holy Cross.


We also joined two of Greg's friends from his graduate studies in the Middlebury language program for lunch downtown.


Before lunch, we visited the Woodrow Wilson House - where the 28th president of the United States lived for three years after leaving office before his death in 1924. I enjoyed the tour well enough that I also took my parents there when they visited D.C. the following weekend.


Mom, Dad, and I also took a walking tour of several memorials built on the Mall since their last visit to D.C., including the Korean War Memorial, the FDR Memorial, and the World War II Memorial.




They had the chance to see Little Flower Parish, and together we tried out a new restaurant - a place that had been recommended to me, but that I hadn't had the chance to visit on my own.  Georgia Brown's is located just blocks from the White House and serves Low Country cuisine.  While it wasn't quite as excellent as The Screen Door in Portland, it was still very, very good.

Just days after Mom and Dad's departure, I spent an evening with another visitor to D.C.  A favorite country musician of mine,  Pat Green, made an appearance at the 9:30 Club.


This was the third time I've seen Pat perform, and although I was sorry to not be joined by the friends I've seen him with in the past, I still enjoyed myself a great deal.

No comments: