The trip came at a most opportune time. I've been really busy recently, both with parish commitments and my work to finish the dining room renovation. And after beautiful weather during the month of October, the first 12 days of November saw nothing but rain. I was ready for a break, and grateful for the chance to get away.
I had the chance to see Kevin and Jeanette's new house for the first time, and to meet baby Paul Reimer, Joe and Val's firstborn. I spent some time with Nick and Shelley Wilhelmson and their son Brady, who was born a year ago during my last trip to the lonestar state. And I also got to catch up with Matt Wilhelmson, who is back in Texas after graduating from ND in May, and with the rest of the Wilhelmson clan.
On Friday morning I concelebrated and preached the school Mass at Holy Family School where Val Reimer teaches Kindergarten. This was the second time I've been invited to do this and I have very much enjoyed both visits.
I also had the chance to preside at Sunday Mass at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish where the Haleys, Reimers and Wilhelmsons all belong. I have been attending Mass there for years during all of my visits to Texas, but this was the first time I had the privilege of presiding at this beautiful new church.
On Friday evening Kevin, Joe, Matt and I went to Texas Stadium to watch first round games for the Texas high school football playoffs. I had never been to Texas Stadium before and this was probably my last chance as it will be torn down at the end of the season when the Cowboys move into their new home. Although it sounds kind of corny, I couldn't help but feel like I had walked into the final scenes of Friday Night Lights! It was amazing to think that so many people were gathered to watch a high school football game!
Of course, we also had to "fend off death by starvation" so we did plenty of great eating and drinking as well. Some of the highlights included a chopped beef sandwich at Sammy's Barbecue
and shrimp tempura tacos at the TCU student hangout Fuzzy's Taco Shop.

As always Kevin and Jeanette were most gracious hosts and it was a really wonderful weekend. I'm left wondering if the History department at the University of Texas at Austin is any good ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment