Yesterday I kicked-off the weekend in true Portland style. Stacey and I enjoyed dinner at Simpatica Dining Hall, which you may remember as the sight of an anniversary celebration for the Noems, Jim Gallagher and myself. (Josh was busy working but luckily was able to join us later in the evening.)
On that first visit to Simpatica I signed up for their weekly email newsletter, so I receive word of their upcoming menus and events. When I saw this menu of traditional comfort foods I decided it was time for a return visit. The menu was as follows:Louisiana-Style Crawfish Pie
Radicchio Salad with Apples, Dried Cherries, Candied Pecans and Blue Cheese
Fork Tender Pot Roast with Shallots, Root Vegetables and Yukon Gold Potatoes
Classic Yellow Layer Cake with Chocolate Frosting and Vanilla Ice Cream
Radicchio Salad with Apples, Dried Cherries, Candied Pecans and Blue Cheese
Fork Tender Pot Roast with Shallots, Root Vegetables and Yukon Gold Potatoes
Classic Yellow Layer Cake with Chocolate Frosting and Vanilla Ice Cream
It was a typically wonderful meal. I think my favorite part was actually the Crawfish Pie which was delightfully spicy and baked in a truly delicious pastry. The pot roast was excellent as well - but was definitely missing Grandpa's carrot gravy. Finally, the cake was very nice but a bit dense and therefore not exactly what Stacey and I perceived as the classic formulation. Still, it was a great meal - and as it turns out, a great start to the evening.
After dinner, Stacey and I met Josh at the Doug Fir Lounge - a trendy new bar, restaurant and music venue on Burnside Avenue. I have been wanting to try this place for quite some time as it has been favorably reviewed in several different local publications.
It really was quite the experience, not only because of the decor and setting but most of all because of the people watching it allowed us to do. It seemed to me that the mainly young people who were gathered for drinks and conversation were dressed to impress in the hottest most up-to-date styles. I felt like I had stepped into a fashion magazine. Of all the restaurants and bars I have visited in this city, the Doug Fir felt more like something out of LA than truly of the Northwest - but it was definitely fun for a change of pace.
After a drink or two Josh mentioned that the famous Voodoo Donuts had recently opened a second location not far from where we were. This seemed the perfect way to end the evening.
Voodoo is known for outrageous donuts with all sorts of toppings, the tamest of which involve either candy or cereal. While their first location in Old Town Portland is more in keeping with their edgy personality, this second location is nice because it has convenient parking and ample seating to relax and enjoy your crazy confection.After another busy week, Friday proved to be a wonderful evening of food and friends. It left me recharged for a busy weekend and ready to host a special guest this coming holiday week. More on that in another post . . .

3 comments:
Koeth, Great posts. Glad the silence is over!
mbw
Steve-0 - will we be getting these gastronome posts about North Dining Hall at Notre Dame when your tenure in Portland draws to a close this summer?
I've been missing Portland, so thanks for a bit of home! A new Voodoo near Doug Fir?! Seriously, could life get any better?! ;)
Thanks, too, for posting all of your homilies! I've been enjoying the Dominican homilies here in Seattle, but am still missing the Holy Cross homilies, too!
Post a Comment