Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fr. Jim's Apostolic Visit

This past weekend, my classmate Fr. Jim Gallagher, CSC made a visit to his old stomping grounds here in Portland. The gang was thrilled to welcome him back home, and we gathered for two different events during the weekend.

On Friday we went out for dinner at the 5th Quadrant brew pub and enjoyed burgers, sandwiches and and Old Lompoc beer.  We had to wait a while for a seat . . . 


. . . but it was a very nice meal. (I enjoyed the beer well enough that I returned on Sunday night with my friend Doug to have a few pints after our normal Sunday evening basketball.)

After dinner a few of us made our way down to the Pearl District where we visited a bar I have been wanting to try from some time now. Teardrop is a tiny little establishment, but it is really nicely appointed: it has a unique teardrop-shaped bar, and interesting tables and booths. Classic black and white movies are projected silently on lush draperies that hang on the walls above the tables. It's a neat atmosphere - and the cocktails were interesting and delicious - if a tad bit skimpy.

On Saturday evening we gathered at the rectory for another pork and apple pie dinner. Jim was one of the founders of the feast, and he missed our gathering in October. So Ken and Mary were back in the kitchen . . .

. . . and Jim seemed to appreciate their efforts immensely.


Hopefully Jim enjoyed his visit as much as we enjoyed having him!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim is really the only person I know whose personality seems to be subtly evident in photos that are taken of him. Thus, I can tell you had a great time and that Jimmy was glad to be back in Portland. That Teardrop place sounds cool, even if the drinks were skimpy!

Fr. Stephen M. Koeth, C.S.C. said...

Greg - I think you'd really like the Teardrop. One more thing for us to do when we vacation in PDX in years to come ;)