Saturday, February 7, 2009

Is This Good News or Bad News?

"New England is now slightly ahead of the Pacific Northwest in terms of the high rate of unchurched people," said Mark Silk, co-author of "One Nation, Divisible: How Regional Religious Differences Shape American Politics."

I'm not sure if my job just got easier or harder ;)

Gotta love all those Mainline Protestants and Kennedy Catholics in Massachusetts and Maine who have abandoned religion altogether! 

And please note that New York is not a New England State - it belongs to the Mid-Atlantic states, thank you very much :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Stephen. I think it's more complicated than "Kennedy Catholics"; don't forget the terrible firestorm that burst on the scene in New England and led to a terrible loss in Church participation and membership, among both "liberal" and "conservative" Catholics. I hope that's not an overly serious response to what may have been a not totally serious remark.

Fr. Stephen M. Koeth, C.S.C. said...

John - As always, thanks for reading, for commenting, and for your kind words. I suppose I was being more tongue-in-cheek than anything else . . . but your point is well taken. It would be interesting to see if Gallup, who did this most recent survey, has data going back over any length of time . . . ten, twenty, forty years. The comparisons would be illuminating. While I think your point is a good corrective, (and admit that I haven't read this yet) my suspicion is that Philip Lawler's "Faithful Departed: The Collapse of Boston's Catholic Culture" would place the clerical abuse crisis AND these current poll numbers BOTH in the broader context of a much broader crisis in American Catholicism: the malaise of suburban cafeteria-Catholicism; of which JFK was both catalyst and symbol. Anyway, this is all just more stuff for me to spend the next six to eight years of my life studying ;)