Monday, May 25, 2009

Berkeley, Tiburon and Point Reyes

During my trip to San Francisco my aunt Barbara and I were able to spend several days together visiting with each other and enjoying the beautiful weather taking in some sights.

On Friday evening, after Barbara spent the day at work, and I spent the day working back at her house, we drove down to Berkeley for dinner. We had some time to walk and take in the local flavor before our reservation at Wood Tavern.  Berkeley is certainly unique, but each time I visit I leave thinking that it doesn't quite live up to its reputation for 'craziness.' It seems to me that the yuppies have taken over even there . . . which means plenty of nice restaurants and shops - which is fine by me!

Dinner at Wood Tavern was delightful. Barbara had been wanting to try the place for quite some time, and I later learned it's a favorite spot of some friends I have in the area. It certainly didn't disappoint. We enjoyed a charcuterie plate and a cocktail, then I had a lovely steak while Barbara enjoyed her 'Easter' lamb a little late in the season.

On Saturday, after I had the Baptism in town, Barbara and I drove north to Tiburon. The warm weather and sun made being near the water especially nice. We walked the strip of shops and had dinner enjoying the views of the Bay and downtown in the distance. A local wine festival had just finished up and tons of young professionals were up from San Francisco for the day - it made for fascinating people watching!



On Sunday morning I was privileged to preside at Mass at Barbara's parish: Christ the King. Afterwards we drove north again, this time toward Point Reyes, CA. We stopped for a lovely lunch at the Station House Cafe (I had an oyster po boy, since oysters are big in the area) and then proceeded to the National Park.

We stopped briefly in the visitors center and then drove the southern extension of the Point, down toward the lighthouse. We didn't exactly 'hike' to the lighthouse, but the 300 plus steps down to the lighthouse . . . and back up . . . certainly gave us a workout.



Sunday night marked the half-way mark of my trip and I packed for the BART ride across the Bay to St. James Parish where Fr. Walter Jenkins, CSC resides while he studies at the University of San Francisco. I spent the rest of the week with Walter and I'll have another post on that part of the trip.

It was wonderful to spend a few days with Barbara, tooling around in her new car, catching up and enjoying beautiful weather, new sites, and delicious food. I'm happy to know she'll be in California for the foreseeable future - it's a great place to vacation!!

No comments: