Sunday, May 10, 2009

Portland in the Papers . . . Again

The New York Times is absolutely head-over-heals in love with Portland, Oregon. The grey lady is constantly featuring the Rose City in articles about travel, emerging restaurants, environmentalism, and dozens of other things. 

They've gone so far as to refer to Portland as the new 'sixth borough' . . . a title previously held by Philadelphia (and in that case only because of its proximity to NY, trust me). 


Well, that's fine with me. As you all know I certainly have come to love Portland as well - and perhaps it is because it resembles a mini-New York in many important ways. 

Anyway, today the Times has yet another article on Portland, this time focusing on the city's frugality - which is, of course, perfect for the current state of the economy.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Cullen said...

hey, hey, hey ... let's take it easy on Philly, your eminence ...

Fr. Stephen M. Koeth, C.S.C. said...

That was just for you Scott . . . well, you and Johnny I. . . . oh and Gerry O. too . . . but mainly for you.

;)

Cullen said...

I thought your job description was all about love, not hate. :) I'm certain you saw that your home town fish wrapper was writing about the cradle of independence this weekend as well:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/travel/10hours.html?scp=2&sq=36%20hours%20in%20philadelphia&st=cse

Ginny said...

Gee, Stephen, I had pulled the article out of the paper to send it to you...guess you saved me a (44 cent!) stamp!