Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Left My Heart in San Francisco . . .

Well, I'm not sure how true that is . . . but I do know I've needed to do one more post on my wonderful trip to San Francisco for quite some time now. Apologies to all those who were waiting with baited breath ;)

I've already posted on the lovely Baptisms I was privileged to perform, and the time I spent with my aunt Barbara. The third and final portion of my week in the City by the Bay was time spent with Fr. Walter Jenkins, CSC at St. James Parish in the Mission.

Fr. Walter and I spent a year together at Moreau Seminary and have been fast friends ever since. He is currently studying for a PhD at the University of San Francisco. I've had the pleasure of hosting Walter twice here in Portland and he really seemed to love the place. Now it was my turn to enjoy Walter's expert hosting.

On our first day together Walter gave me an orientation tour of sorts, reintroducing me to the heart of San Francisco that I had seen before but forgotten after so many years. That included a nice little tour of the Mission Dolores, which gives its name to the particular section of the city Walter lives in, and is the oldest existent Spanish Mission in California.


Early in my stay we also enjoyed a lovely dinner at Home in the Castro - which specializes in the haute version of comfort foods that I so enjoy - and breakfast at Toast in Noe Valley.

One landmark I remembered well from my previous visits was St. Mary's Cathedral, otherwise known as the Whirlpool agitator. I have to confess that I've never liked the exterior of this cathedral - but also found that inside it not only gave you the sense of grandeur that you should feel in such a church, but it also was much prettier and warmer than you would have imagined from the outside.


I also have to say that Walter helped me come to a greater appreciation of the exterior as well. Seeing the cathedral from a distance and in the context of the skyscrapers that inevitably tower over cathedrals in an urban skyline, St. Mary's stands out in a admirable way. I only wish I could have seen it lit up at night (they only do this on rare occasions, which is a shame).

Later in my stay, Walter and I drove out of the city to the Napa and Sonoma Valleys. We enjoyed lunch in Healdsburg and then visited the lovely Sterling Vineyards for a tour and tasting.



Before dinner we did some window shopping at Dean and Deluca and enjoyed a glass of wine at Auberge de Soleil. Having worked up quite an appetite looking at such good food, we took dinner back in Sausalito, enjoying seafood and a spectacular view at The Spinnaker. 

On my final full day in San Francisco, Walter and I took a tour on a catamaran cruise on the Bay. The weather was absolutely perfect: sunny and clear, and slightly warmish, so that the ever-present ocean breeze was not at all bothersome.


We had absolutely stunning views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the city skyline, as you can see in that picture above. I just love being out on the water, and it was especially nice to have the experience of truly sailing, low to the waterline and without the noise of a motor. I thoroughly enjoyed our little cruise!

I'm grateful to Walter for being such a wonderful host . . . and I'm already looking forward to my next chance to  visit all my friends and family in the Bay Area.

No comments: