Monday, June 15, 2009

A Season of 'Lasts'

Over the last several weeks, as the school year at Holy Redeemer came to a close, we had several end of the year celebrations - and since I am leaving Portland in July, these were also a series of bittersweet 'lasts' for me.

The students of Holy Redeemer enjoyed a trip to the local bowling alley in recognition of their good work on our annual Jog-a-thon. I joined them for the trip, but only as a spectator.


Though I was sad to have to miss the eighth grade graduation ceremony because of the Final Vow Retreat, I was glad to again lead the eighth grade retreat this year. We spent the day at the University of Portland looking back at all we had to be grateful for, and looking ahead with excitement for all that's yet to come. Of course this theme had a very personal poignance this year. 


I celebrated my last school Mass and had the chance to say 'thank you' to all of our wonderful students, who then hosted Fr. Joe, myself and Sr. Marianne for a lovely and very touching farewell assembly.

I also concelebrated our last school Mass of the year and helped bless and promote each of the classes to the next grade level. After spending almost four years here, over the last five years, it is amazing to think about how much the kids have grown in this time . . . and I didn't age a bit ;)


A real highlight of the last few days was attending the graduation Mass for Central Catholic High School. The class of 2009 is comprised of students who I taught when they were eighth graders at Holy Redeemer and I was a seminarian here for the year. They have a special place in my heart and I was grateful to be able to celebrate with them - and honored that so many of them had words of gratitude as they prepared to move on to college. I offer them my prayers and wish them the very best - I expect to hear great things from them.

Finally, I was glad to have the chance to celebrate one last time with our wonderful school faculty. I have delighted in taking my lunch every day over in the teacher's lounge - and I don't think I have ever been around a more wonderful and dedicated group of Catholic educators.

Every so often I would organize a little after school social at a local watering hole for our faculty and staff. So it was appropriate that I said farewell by joining my friends and colleagues for one last outing after the last day of school.


The goodbyes are stacking up now . . . but my boxes are not! I still have ALL of my packing to do in the midst of the Provincial Chapter. Then in two weeks' time, on Sunday June 28th I'll celebrate my last weekend of Masses at Holy Redeemer.

Stay tuned for more . . . .

No comments: