Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ad Limina Apostolorum

Later today I depart for six days in the Eternal City - Rome, Italy. I will be traveling with sixteen undergraduate men from the University of Notre Dame and Holy Cross College. They will be undertaking a vocation pilgrimage with Fr. Jim Gallagher, csc and Fr. Ralph Haag, csc, and I was invited to join them as an additional chaplain/chaperone.


Although I once visited Rome when I was an undergraduate in Notre Dame's London Program, I was only able to be there for about three days, and was only able to see so much. This trip will give me the chance to visit all of the Papal Basilicas, take a Scavi tour of the catacombs under St. Peter's and make a day trip to Assisi to visit the Basilica of St. Francis.

I'll also enjoy the chance to visit Karlo Leonor, Fr. Michael Wurtz, csc and Fr. Bob Barron, three good friends who are currently in Rome studying and working. Karlo is a Notre Dame undergraduate studying in Rome this semester. Fr. Bob Barron is spending a few months writing and researching in Rome. And Fr. Michael Wurtz, csc is a graduate student at Sant' Anselmo.

But most of all, I'm looking forward to the trip as a true pilgrimage: an opportunity to visit the holy sites, to see the Holy Father, and especially to pray "at the threshold of the Apostles." It will be a tremendous honor and pleasure to pray for all of you and to offer Holy Mass at these shrines.

I won't be posting again until after I return to the States - but be sure to check back in a week's time for what I'm sure will be quite a barrage of wonderful pictures and stories. And please pray for our safe travels and for the Lord's blessing on our pilgrimage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fr. Stephen,

Jeanne & I are envious of you - Italy is the best. But, it's too bad the buildings there are so old. Maybe they need an urban renewal project?
Have a great time & Safe Travels

Charlie

PS. Please tell Fr. Bob & Fr. Michael Hello for us.