I have had the pleasure of knowing Gail since I was a freshman at Notre Dame, working as a sacristan at the Basilica. We shared many a laugh, and much good food, at the post-Easter Vigil parties Brother Dennis so graciously hosted each year. I also worked with Gail on the staff of Campus Ministry when I was an intern in the office. Gail, and her devoted colleague and friend Andrew McShane, also worked with me and my classmates to provide music for our Final Vows Liturgy in the summer of 2006.
But perhaps my most enduring memory of Gail will be from my Mass of Thanksgiving, celebrated at the Basilica the morning after my ordination. The Liturgical Choir provided music for that Mass and Gail was visible on her director's stand in the loft.
At that Mass I sang the Preface of Easter Sunday as part of the Eucharistic Prayer. Praying though I was, I could clearly make out Gail's open-mouthed expression of surprise that I was actually pulling off such a feat!
After Mass, even before she offered congratulations on my ordination, Gail teased me for holding out on her all those years, never letting on that I had even a modicum of singing ability. I got a great kick out of that; and I think that's how I will choose to remember Dr. Gail Walton: with that look of wonderment and glad surprise on her face, now directed at all the Father has prepared for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment