Friday was our last full day in Rome and it was a free day in the schedule for all of the pilgrims. Fr. Michael, Fr. Jim and I returned from Assisi early in the morning to find that the Roman Metro was on strike . . . and it wasn't even good weather! We made our way on foot and, in one instance, by taxi and were luckily unaffected by the work-action.
We had a lovely lunch together at Ristochicco on the Borgo Pio - but unfortunately the cold Fr. Jim had been battling began to get the better of him, and he needed to head back to the hotel for rest.
As you can see in the picture above, Fr. Michael and I continued some shopping we had begun that morning. I kept things reasonable, but after window and price shopping with Karlo earlier in the week, I was prepared to purchase the alb and oil stock I had been wanting.
Fr. Michael and I also made our way back to his residence at Casa Santa Maria for Mass together in one of their chapels. Along the way we passed the Trevi Fountain, and I threw the requisite coin over my shoulder and into the pool to guarantee my return to the Eternal City.
Our group gathered one last time in St. Peter's Square to pray Vespers together and then to head for dinner near Piazza Novona. I made my way back to Casa Santa Maria, where I met up with Fr. Michael, Karlo, and Fr. Bob Barron for cocktails and dinner. Fr. Bob is spending a few months in Rome working on another book. Though we were sorry that Fr. Jim was unable to join us, we shared a lovely evening.
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and the next morning we boarded our shuttle to Rome's Fiumicino Airport and our flight back to Chicago. From start to finish, despite rain and missed trains, the trip was a real blessing. It was a wonderful gift of grace to pray and play with such a wonderful group of gentlemen - and to visit with dear friends.


No comments:
Post a Comment