Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Fond Farewell

Before I departed Notre Dame for Bethesda, I had an enjoyable week of goodbyes with friends and confreres . . . at least as enjoyable as goodbyes can be!

I was especially glad to have one last Mass at Holy Cross College and to have the chance to say farewell to Andrew and Dre Polaniecki. I was also honored to preside at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart for the Feast of the Assumption.

Of the many things I'll miss from my year at Notre Dame I will most miss the chance to live and work in the same place as my three wonderful classmates! Who knows when or if this will ever be the case again. Throughout the year we made a point of getting together regularly for a class dinner. I was glad to have one last chance for a meal together, and then for a leisurely stroll around the campus. Thanks guys!


I will also miss terribly the wonderful seminarians I was privileged to work with this past year. I was glad that before I left South Bend I had the chance to see them as they returned to campus for their orientation retreat. I joined the finally professed community of South Bend at a special dinner at our La Porte Center where the seminarians were finishing their retreat and readying themselves for the year ahead. What a wonderfully hopeful sight to see so many men in our formation programs! Please join me in praying for the success of their studies and discernment.


We enjoyed a social and dinner together, and later in the evening were treated to fireworks and a bonfire.


Though I am definitely not known as much of a fashion-plate, I got loads of comments about my University of Portland Hawaiian shirt . . . and most of them were positive ;) The shirt was a gift from my friends in the UP Alumni Office and whatever the reactions I was proud to represent the Pilots!


The next morning I was on the road by 7 a.m. and made it to Bethesda by dinner time. The rest of the week has been spent unpacking and settling in. In my next post I'll have some pictures and details about my new abode hear in the Beltway!

4 comments:

An Affirming Flame said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Infranca said...

Love the UP Hawaiian Shirt. My brother has a Mets Hawaiian shirt you would like. Best wishes for the transition to DC.

hubriscube said...

Best of luck, Koeth!

Kyle Gruber said...

I love the pic!