Thursday, July 3, 2008

"Pere Frere"

One of the great pleasures of living in the Portland area these past few years has been participating in the common life of the Holy Cross community at the University of Portland. They are an eclectic, intelligent, humorous bunch and they have warmly welcomed me here from when I was a lowly seminarian.

At the head of this great band of men these past six years has been the local superior Fr. Claude Pomerleau, CSC. Claude is, in the very best sense, the personification of this wonderful local community.  He is a brilliant professor of political science, an excellent clarinet player, a lover of opera and movies, a beloved priest and teacher, an amazing conversationalist, a lover of good food and drink, etc. etc. 

From the very beginning he has made me feel at home at UP with his warmth, generosity and charm. Though he might not know it, I've held him as a kind of model and learned a great deal just by sharing his company and watching his way of being in the world. (On top of that, he took me to see my first opera . . . and then my second!!)

Claude has finished his term as local superior effective July 1, 2008. This coming academic year he will be working at Uganda Martyrs University in East Africa. He'll be blogging about his adventures, so I suggest you pay him a visit at "Clodhopping with Claude in Uganda."

This past week, Claude gave the opening prayer for the Wednesday session of the US Senate. As the article explains, Claude's brother-in-law is Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont). You can read his excellent prayer on his blog.

I will certainly miss having Claude here in Portland this coming year, but our loss is East Africa's gain. And hopefully, he and I will have the chance to live and work together again as confreres in Holy Cross! Travel safe, Claude, and thank you!!

No comments: