After my weekend in Philadelphia, I traveled south to the nation's capital to visit The Catholic University of America, where I will be enrolled in the M.A./Ph.D. program in American History this fall.
Founded in 1887, Catholic University is the national university of the bishops' conference. As is so often the case, there is a deep connection between this important Catholic institution and the Congregation of Holy Cross. From its earliest days, Fr. John Zahm, C.S.C. was a major supporter of CUA, building Holy Cross College on the campus, which served as a seminary for members of the Congregation.
During my visit I stopped by the Graduate Admissions Office in McMahon Hall (above) and was pleased to spend time chatting with Andrea Parisi, my cousin Brendan's girlfriend, who now works in that office.
I also met with a number of the professors in the History Department, which is housed in Cardinal Hall:
The real architectural highlight of the campus is also its spiritual heart: the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. Begun in 1920 and dedicated in 1959, this national shrine is dedicated to the patroness of the United States. It is a truly magnificent building and I look forward to praying there regularly.
Besides meeting with professors and touring campus, I spent time looking into parishes where I might reside while in graduate studies. I have several good options and I look forward to finalizing my plans in the very near future, and sharing them with you here.
I'm excited to be heading to Washington and to be beginning studies at CUA this fall. Washington should prove to be an exciting place to live, and I am looking forward to being in the same city as my cousins Brendan and Bobbie. And CUA will be a great place for me to pursue the study of the Church's history in America, as it plays such an important part in that history.

4 comments:
I don't think I knew you had decided to go to CUA. Good for you!!!
Congratulations! All the best to you in your studies at Catholic University of America this fall.
Dan and Dana - Thanks very much! I look forward to being in PDX sometime this summer. I'll let you know when my plans are finalized.
I didn't know you had a blog - this is so cool!
Hope you are having a good summer!
Vanessa
Post a Comment