Monday, April 14, 2008

Bandon-by-the-Sea

After returning from South Bend, I was here in Portland only for a week before I hit the road again.  This time a driving trip, five hours to the south of Portland, to a little coastal town called Bandon-by-the-Sea.  

Fr. Heiko Junge is the pastor of Holy Trinity Parish there and he is by himself. Holy Redeemer is a rarity in this diocese because we have two priests here - so in order to give some of the diocesan priests a relief we like to help out when we can.

Bandon is famous for its golf courses, including the Bandon Dunes Golf Course which is a championship quality course. But other than that it is a pretty sleepy little coastal town. While the parishioners were very kind, I was blown away how small the congregation was (three Masses a weekend, no more than sixty people at any one Mass).

As beautiful as the northern Oregon coast is, the coast near Bandon is simply spectacular for its rugged beauty.  Of course it rained the entire time I was there, so I really didn't have the chance to enjoy the outdoors - but right before I left on Sunday afternoon the sun came out and I took these pictures.  First, from the front porch of the rectory, overlooking the river and Pacific:


And then this picture of the beaches on the Pacific itself:


Fr. Heiko is being transferred at the end of the year and several parishioners jokingly offered me the job.  As beautiful as it is, I told them I am simply too much of a city boy!

No comments: