Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Without Reservations

We interrupt this review of the Papal Visit to bring you a book review:  
A few months back when I was visiting Kevin and Jeanette Haley in Texas, Kevin introduced me to Chef Anthony Bourdain's show on the Travel Channel: "Without Reservations."  

Since then I've become totally addicted to the show.  It combines two things I'm really interested in: travel and food - and it does so with the most delightfully obnoxious (and yet sentimental) NY/NJ attitude. It's perfect.

So, as I prepared for for my recent trip East I picked up a copy of Bourdain's memoir, "Kitchen Confidential," at the famous Powell's Books here in Portland. I devoured the book on my flights to and from Newark - pun intended.

It's a no holds barred look at all that goes on behind the scenes in culinary schools and restaurant kitchens across the country. And from what some "cookie" (that's the term he uses for chef-types) friends at the University of Portland say, he captures the truth better than anything else out there.

If you're at all interested in things culinary you'll thoroughly enjoy this book.  I recommend it; you guessed it; without reservations.  

No comments: