Just after Easter, I traveled back to Notre Dame to celebrate the ordination of two of my brothers in Holy Cross. On Easter Saturday, Fr. Drew Gawrych, CSC and Fr. Steve Lacroix, CSC were ordained to the priesthood by Most Rev. John D'Arcy of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend.
This was the second priestly ordination I attended since my own. The first was the ordination Mass for the Archdiocese of Portland-in-Oregon in May of last year. But since this was a Holy Cross ordination, in the Basilica where I was ordained, and I know these two men so well, I will certainly remember this ordination as a milestone.
As at my own ordination, the laying on of hands was a particularly powerful moment. (Above is a wonderful picture of me laying hands on Fr. Steve Lacroix, CSC. My classmate, Fr. Pete McCormick, CSC is next in line. See the Holy Cross vocations website for even more great pictures.) This is the ancient sacramental gesture by which all deacons, priests and bishops in the history of the Church have been ordained . . . and whichever end of the gesture you're on, you can physically feel the import of that unbroken succession. It is a powerful and beautiful thing.
Congratulations to Fr. Drew and Fr. Steve! Ad multos annos!
No comments:
Post a Comment