Monday, January 12, 2009

Movie Review: Doubt

Last week, I snuck out to catch a movie that many people had been asking me about. I saw Doubt.


Some people have been surprised that I chose to see this particular movie. Their instinct coincides with my original impression: that I would not be interested in seeing a movie that involves a priest under suspicion for his relationship with a school-age boy.

However, after speaking with several friends who had seen the movie, and reading a few trusted reviewers I decided to go ahead and see it. I was glad I did.

The movie is not about the priestly sexual abuse crisis and there isn't even a hint of anti-Catholicism. Rather, an unsubstantiated accusation against a priest is the context in which much deeper themes are explored. To my mind, the movie is really about truth, instinct, how we "know" what we know, and of course, doubt.

I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is one of the best actors of our generation, so I was not at all surprised by how well he played the role of Fr. Flynn. But Meryl Streep was beyond amazing as Sister Aloysius. I can't imagine anyone being more worthy of best actress awards. She simply nailed the Bronx accent and every other aspect of a terrifying Mother Superior and Principal of that generation. 

Her performance alone makes seeing this movie well worth it. When you do see it, give me a call and we can have a conversation about who I think did and did not do anything immoral. For now, let's just say that the writer and director do a great job living up to the movie's title.

No comments: