Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rockaway Retreat

This past week I had the pleasure of taking some much needed days of rest and retreat - my first days of retreat in months. I was free from the parish from Wednesday afternoon to Saturday afternoon and I spent that time on the Oregon coast. 

The Holy Cross house at Surf Pines was being worked on, so I accepted the gracious invitation of the Good Shepherd Sisters to use their house in Rockaway Beach, Oregon.


Unlike the house at Surf Pines, this house is directly on the beach, so even just sitting in the living room, or lying in bed, I had phenomenal views of the Pacific:


I had plenty of time to sleep in, pray, read, and walk on the beach. I'd never spent any length of time in Rockaway and the beach there is quite nice:


I also took an afternoon and drove the Three Capes Loop, probably for the last time given that I am leaving Oregon in July. The Three Capes are Cape Lookout, Cape Kiwanda, and Cape Meares, which includes a cute little lighthouse,


and great views of the cliffs:


I concluded my drive with a couple of beers and dinner at Pelican Brewery in Pacific City, Oregon. During my time on the coast I also made the requisite visit to the Tillamook Creamery for a scoop or two of German Chocolate Cake ice cream!!

While I would have enjoyed having even more time for retreat, I am grateful for what I had. It was a valuable time for prayer, especially as I will be in the throes of transition for most of 2009! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Chewing out a rhythm on my bubble gum
The sun is out and I want some.
Its not hard, not far to reach
We can hitch a ride
To rockaway beach.
Rock rock rockaway beach..."
Whenever someone mentions Rockaway Beach, I get that Ramones song stuck in my head for days and days...
Father, I happily stumbled upon your blog today at work (of course my internet browsing was work related - shame on you for thinking otherwise!). What a fantastic blog I love it! I have already forwarded a link to friends and family. I sure hope you are able to continue with updates in the future.
Are you still down for a beer or two after HR Hoops Sunday night?
See you then,
Doug B

Fr. Stephen M. Koeth, C.S.C. said...

Doug - Thanks for tracking down my little corner of the Internet, and for posting! Yes, indeed - exercise and then beer . . . what could be better! ;) See you then! SMK, csc