Friday, January 9, 2009

Wild Beauty

Throughout the fall, the Portland Art Museum has been hosting an exhibit of photographs of the Columbia River Gorge. Some of the photographs date from the 1860s and show the Columbia in its untamed state prior to the building of several hydroelectric dams, including the Bonneville Dam. 


I have been wanting to see this exhibit since it opened, and was encouraged not to miss it by several parishioners who enjoyed it very much. With the exhibit closing this weekend I ducked out of the office this afternoon to go and see it.

My favorite pictures were some of the black and white pictures from the 20s and 30s that show the river frozen over during some of the harsher winters in the Gorge.


I was very glad that I did indeed catch this exhibit before it closes this weekend. I'll also look forward to driving back into the Gorge in the coming weeks and months with a new appreciation for the way it once was.

No comments: