After the ordination Mass I spent the day bumming around Seattle. My first stop was for lunch at Dick's Drive-In on Broadway. This is apparently a Seattle landmark and it was recommended to me by Ken and Julie Hallenius.
I really enjoyed the burger, fresh cut fries and chocolate shake that Ken and Julie recommended I have. They were even right about the tartar sauce they suggested as a dipping sauce for the fries.
The only way they steered me wrong was they didn't tell me to order TWO burgers ;)

My next stop was Pikes Market where I walked off lunch, took in the sights for awhile, and visited Piroshki Piroshki to buy a snack for later ;)
Finally, I went to the Seattle Center and the Experience Music Project. The EMP is the brainchild of Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft. He helped fund a museum in honor of Jimi Hendrix the Seattle-born music legend. It grew into a tribute to Seattle's contribution to rock music and then ended up including a museum to the history of science fiction books and movies. I know, weird.
The museum was actually pretty terrible but since my expectations were low it wasn't much of a disappointment. I don't think rock and roll types know how to curate museums very well. Some of the artwork was interesting, including this tornado of musical instruments:
and there was an interesting display on the Hatch Show Print shop in Nashville, Tennessee and their iconic wood-block music posters.
But even the architecture, designed by the world famous Frank Gerhy, is merely typical of his work: avant-garde, but basically ugly and ultimately functionally poor as well.
Still, none of this was enough to ruin the day. It was great to get away and to be at the ordination, and my meals and and rambling were delightful.


3 comments:
It seems that music museums can never get it right. The Rock and Rolll Hall of Fame in Cleveland is a huge disappoinment (in my mind).
Brian -That for reading, and thanks for the tip. I won't bother making the trip to Cleveland!
I think your brother Fr. William R. Dailey, CSC, had a different experience - he seemed to enjoy the EMP, if I recall correctly. But I've never been interested, myself.
Glad you enjoyed Dick's Drive-In. It's always a highlight for our Seattle trips.
Post a Comment