Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Four !!!!!! (Yes, I know it's Fore, it's an inside joke!)

Yesterday, after celebrating morning Mass at St. Charles Parish, and then dashing off to celebrate the Opening of the School Year Mass at De La Salle North Catholic High School, I changed clothes quickly, grabbed my golf clubs and drove south to the Langdon Farms Golf Course in Aurora, Oregon for the second annual Holy Redeemer School Golf Outing.



After registering, picking up our goodie bags, and enjoying a lovely boxed lunch, we mounted our carts, received a blessing from Fr. Joe and hit the links.


I golfed in a foursome with Fr. Joe's dad, Vito, and a retired couple from a neighboring parish. It was a very long course, but I was driving the ball well . . . so well, we used 7 of my drives in the "best ball" format. Here's the view down the 18th fairway:


My driving aside, we were +7 for the day which put us just above the worst two or three teams. I was just happy to not be dead last! 

It was about 92 degrees yesterday, so when we finished our 18 holes we were glad to retire to the Red Barn for the award ceremony and dinner. As part of the fundraising efforts of the day, a "ball drop" contest was held. Contestants purchased numbered golf balls that were then dropped from a helicopter onto the 18th green. The ball that landed closest to the flag won half of the earnings. (Sorry there's no picture - it was just dark enough that my flash was insufficient to the task).


Special thanks are due to my usual golfing buddies, Sr. Maureen Fox, OSF and Mr. Allen Grant, both of whom are teachers at Holy Redeemer School. 


2 comments:

Fr. Michael Wurtz, CSC said...

Koeth, as someone who helped organize parish golf tournaments, I'm quite impressed. A helicopter?? Wow! My question is, does a Tuesday afternoon work well? What time did it start and end? Great photos and posts.

Fr. Stephen M. Koeth, C.S.C. said...

Michael - We started with lunch at Noon and a shot-gun start at 1:40. I can't recall what time we were finished by, but we when the dinner, ball drop and award ceremony had finished, it was almost 8 pm. We had a great turnout numbers wise, so I guess it isn't a problem for people. And the "Four" was a little bit of an inside joke. Joe's dad told a joke during the day, which I will not repeat here, that involved a Mexican golfer yelling "Cuatro!" Maybe it didn't translate ;)