Tuesday, September 23, 2008

New York Nostalgia

All morning I had an inexplicable and incessant craving for pizza. Thankfully, since Monday is my day off I was able to head down to NW 23rd to Escape from New York Pizza.


I ordered up a couple of slices of pepperoni . . . 


. . . and had a seat at the counter. That gave me the chance to peruse the copies of the New York Times they have laying around for their customers. So I read the entire section on the last game at Yankee Stadium. 


Now anyone who knows me, or has noticed the teams in the side-bar of this blog, knows that I am New York Mets fan (No, we're not going to talk about The Collapse Part II!). But as a New Yorker, it's hard not to feel a bit sad about this end of an era . . . and it's only compounded by the demise of the much younger but still historic Shea Stadium. 

But, in the end, that's what it means to be a citizen (or a child in exile) of the city that never sleeps - nothing stays the same forever.

No comments: