This winter the pastor of our neighboring parish, The Madeleine Parish, became unexpectedly and severely ill. Fr. Joe and I filled in on an emergency basis for several weekends right around Christmas. Well, the pastor is in much, much better health - so much so, he is on vacation this week! So I took the Madeleine School Mass this morning. Unlike a few stout-hearted diocese in the East, the Archdiocese of Portland follows the greater number of American diocese in transferring the Feast of the Ascension to the following Sunday. Boo hiss! Thankfully, in terms of homily prep, the Madeleine uses the coming Sunday's readings for their school Mass - so I got to preach the Ascension anyway! . . . and then I used the prayers for May 1st, the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker, just to thoroughly confuse them!! Like our kids here, the kids at the Madeleine are remarkably well-behaved at Mass, and participated in my Harry Potter homily quite enthusiastically!
"The story of my priestly vocation? It is known above all to God. At its deepest level, every vocation to the priesthood is a great mystery; it is a gift that transcends the individual." - St. Pope John Paul II
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Feast-Day-Bingo!
This winter the pastor of our neighboring parish, The Madeleine Parish, became unexpectedly and severely ill. Fr. Joe and I filled in on an emergency basis for several weekends right around Christmas. Well, the pastor is in much, much better health - so much so, he is on vacation this week! So I took the Madeleine School Mass this morning. Unlike a few stout-hearted diocese in the East, the Archdiocese of Portland follows the greater number of American diocese in transferring the Feast of the Ascension to the following Sunday. Boo hiss! Thankfully, in terms of homily prep, the Madeleine uses the coming Sunday's readings for their school Mass - so I got to preach the Ascension anyway! . . . and then I used the prayers for May 1st, the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker, just to thoroughly confuse them!! Like our kids here, the kids at the Madeleine are remarkably well-behaved at Mass, and participated in my Harry Potter homily quite enthusiastically!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment