The New York Times today has an article discussing the changing racial make-up of my section of Portland. Although I live four blocks from the intersection of Rosa Parks Way and Martin Luther King Blvd., names which presume a certain racial demographic, the neighborhood has been changing for quite some time, and gentrification is evident everywhere. I have definitely been able to see the changes this article talks about over my four years of affiliation with Holy Redeemer, and I can only imagine what this area will look like in five or ten years.
"The story of my priestly vocation? It is known above all to God. At its deepest level, every vocation to the priesthood is a great mystery; it is a gift that transcends the individual." - St. Pope John Paul II
Thursday, May 29, 2008
The NY Times Covers NE Portland
The New York Times today has an article discussing the changing racial make-up of my section of Portland. Although I live four blocks from the intersection of Rosa Parks Way and Martin Luther King Blvd., names which presume a certain racial demographic, the neighborhood has been changing for quite some time, and gentrification is evident everywhere. I have definitely been able to see the changes this article talks about over my four years of affiliation with Holy Redeemer, and I can only imagine what this area will look like in five or ten years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was thinking of you when I read this on BART this morning -- but didn't realize it was your neighborhood! xo Barbara
Post a Comment