Saturday, May 10, 2008

Theology On Tap

This Thursday evening I was invited to speak at the Archdiocese of Portland's Theology on Tap.  This is a national program aimed at young adults . . . since they're no longer in college, being served by campus ministry, and they may not yet have married and had kids, twenty and thirty somethings can be a tough age group for the Church to get at and serve their needs well. 
Theology on Tap was created as a way for these young people to meet and support one another, have some fun over pizza and beer, and be nourished in their faith in some way - usually through a presentation on a faith topic and a discussion.

I was invited to speak to the group and immediately said yes - theology and beer?! I'd be a fool to say no! But then I had to decide what to talk about. In conversation with Brian Miskimins, the young layman who helps organize these evenings, we decided that since I was just in NY for the Holy Father's visit I should talk about what the Pope's visit and message might mean for the Church in the US, and especially in the lives of young people. 

It was a great evening. There was a good crowd and people seemed genuinely interested in the topic, especially when it came time for the Q&A: there were some really great questions.  And on top of that, the Lucky Lab Brewing Company has a great Golden Ale. What could be better!

I owe special thanks to my friend Dan Adams, a 2000 ND grad and employee of the University of Portland. We decided to car-pool to the event, and boy was I glad we did . . . I was planning on going to the WRONG Lucky Lab location!! Thankfully, Dan had read the email more attentively, and had been to one of these before. Thanks Dan, and thank you Holy Spirit!

No comments: