Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Upside of the Hilltop

This week Holy Cross religious from across the United States who are involved in ministry to Hispanic Catholics gathered here in Portland for a series of meetings dubbed "The Hilltop" (don't ask me why they're called that, I haven't a clue). 

Now I was not, and never have been involved in these meetings - so I can't say this for certain . . . but we've all been at things of the sort . . . and when you throw aging religious into the mix, I'm fairly confident that these meetings were something akin to Chinese water torture.

As I say, I got to avoid the meetings in the first place - but there was, none the less, a definite upside of the meetings being here in Portland: newly ordained Fr. Drew Gawrych, CSC was asked to attend the meetings and so he spent the week with us here in Portland.

You'll remember I was in South Bend in March for Fr. Drew's ordination and I enjoyed this chance to spend time catching up with Drew, hearing stories of his first month as a priest, and showing him around the Rose City.

As you can see, we had lovely weather on Friday and Fr. Drew and I enjoyed a walk down along the Willamette River. We also sated ourselves on giant Twilight Room burgers . . . Mmmmm. Hopefully, we were able to provide an upside to "The Hilltop" even for Fr. Drew. 

Thanks for visiting Fr. Drew, and come again soon!

No comments: